City Neighbors Foundation Teaching Fellows
The City Neighbors Foundation Teaching Fellows Program is designed for those aspiring to teach in a student-centered, progressive teaching environment. In this two-year fellowship, aspiring educators will work in our City Neighbors classrooms, receive targeted mentoring and professional development, and have structured opportunities to develop and refine teaching practice in alignment with a progressive, City Neighbors approach to teaching and learning.
WE ARE SEEKING ASPIRING TEACHERS
- A deep commitment to and a passion for working with children and families
- A belief in the vision of the child as creative, capable, powerful, and worthy of the deepest respect
- A commitment to progressive education practices (including, but not limited to, arts integration, project-based learning, and Reggio Emilia)
- Strong organizational skills
- Dependability and professionalism
- Educational coursework or degree in teaching; ideal candidates would either be certified, or planning on obtaining certification within the two-year Fellowship timeframe
- Participation in targeted monthly Professional Development
- Participation in ongoing faculty Professional Development
- Participation in a teaching observation and feedback cycle
- Meet regularly with lead teacher to plan, reflect, and analyze
ON-SITE CLASSROOM PRACTICE
- Regularly planning for and leading small group instruction
- Leading whole group instruction twice weekly
- 38 hours per week
- Assist lead teacher in implementing daily instruction
- Serve as substitute in the absence of lead teacher
- Supervise lunch and recess and support student success in unstructured/social times
COMPLETION OF TWO-YEAR PROGRAM
- Fellows will have received significant, in-depth experience in teaching in a progressive education classroom.
- Teaching Fellows who have also completed a certification program would be eligible to apply for a Post-Fellowship position or a teaching position in our organization.
- Teaching Fellows have the option to apply for an ongoing fellowship for an additional two years.
- $30,000 per year, benefits not provided
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to Mike Chalupa, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please discuss your specific interest in City Neighbors and what you hope to gain through this Fellowship. Applications due no later than May 20, 2020.